Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Wartime Blackberry and Apple Jam

I think I chose the hottest day of the year so far to start canning.. but needs must and I began with one of our favourites..and a great way of using up some of the gifted apples... Blackberry and Apple Jam. This is a great recipe from the Ministry of Food and uses no added pectin.. the apples do a great job
Now... I only had one pound of blackberries... but as long as your fruit makes a total weight the same as your sugar you will be just fine. I have made this recipe many times and it always comes out well... tick..rich and delicious. It made three pint jars.. with a little extra to have on my toast for breakfast this week. A great start to my canning season

2 lbs. blackberries
¾lbs sour apples;
¼ pint water
About 3 lbs. sugar.
  • Place the blackberries in a pan over a low heat 
  • Adding half the quantity of water, and stew until tender. 
  • Peel, core and slice the apples 
  • Add the remaining water, and cook in a separate pan until the fruit is quite soft. 
  • Add to the blackberries, and cook all together until thick. 
  • Weigh the pulp, and add an equal weight of sugar. 
  • Stir, bring to the boil, and boil until the jam sets when tested (about 220°)
The recipe doesn't call for the jars to be processed but I did anyway... water bathed for 10 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment