It was a pleasantly cooler morning.. so after hanging the laundry on the line.. I took my cuppa outside and sat with the chickens for a short while.
Making sure Prince was locked out of the back garden.. I let the Ladies out of the coop for a bit and let them peck at some fresh grass for a change.They are not fans of this very hot weather either.. but its hasn't affected their egg production at all... giving us plenty of eggs for tonight's dinner.
Housework was completed in a timely fashion... including giving the bedrooms a good clean.. which meant I could spend the afternoon on my knitting.. Im determined to finish the little matinee set I'm making for our grandbaby due in December.
This evening.. MrD and I settled down and listened to a new radio show "Eyes Aloft" dedicated to the volunteers of the Aircraft Warning Service, which consisted of civilians who volunteered their time to look for enemy aircraft along the Pacific Coast. ![]() |
Photo: Signing up at the Newport Beach Aircraft Warning Volunteer Center c.1942 |
After the attack on Pearl Harbor, 150,000 citizens volunteered to look for enemy aircraft headed for the mainland. Many of the volunteers were women and retired persons who lived along the Pacific Coast. The broadcast commended Aircraft Warning Service volunteers and dramatized their true stories of service, patriotism, and courage.
So for dinner.. we had a lovely meal of leftover cold chicken, salad from the garden, and courtesy of our ladies, Stuffed Eggs. The recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens Magazine, July 1941, and are a spin on Devilled Eggs, which are made the same way, but with different additives.
Although they were flavourful and we enjoyed them.. both MrD and I agreed we prefer the original Devilled Eggs taste
6 hard cooked eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon vinegar
1½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1½ teaspoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon pepper
1½ teaspoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
![]() |
| Original Magazine Cutting |
- Cut eggs lengthwise
- Remove yolks and mash.
- Add mayonnaise, vinegar, and seasonings
- Beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Fill whites with teaspoon or put through a pastry tube.
- I like to garnish with a littke paprika
| Better Homes and Gardens agazine July 1941 |




.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment