Saturday, August 15, 2026

Broiled Ham Sandwiches

Another busy Saturday at our Little Blue House. After a breakfast of vegetable omelettes.. courtesy of our ladies and the Victory Garden.. MrD started a new house project.. replacing the floorboards in our hallway. 
He made a good start.. but will have to finish it next weekend. As with many jobs that we try to do in this old house... we always manage to open a can of worms!!
As for me I thought MrD needed a bit of a treat.. so I made one of his favourites 
with a few chocolate chips sprinkled on top
For lunch I tried a new recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Magazine, July 1940.. and it used a 1940s staple.. Spam!
Broiled Ham Sandwiches  were supposed to be an open faced and you toast the topping and put on bread. But I had some National Loaf that was a little stale as its coming to the end of the week. So, I ended up making a glorified cheese on toast. I halved the recipe as it was only the two of us.. and the leftover Spam will be used in breakfasts and in sandwiches this week
Original Magazine Illustration
To be honest.. it was really flavourful.. and added to a little fresh salad from the garden.. made a lovely filling lunch. I will be making it again

¼ cup chopped cucumber pickle 
1 cup grated American cheese (or any melting cheese)
3 tablespoons mayonnaise. 
12 ounce can pork-ham luncheon meat 
  • Toast bread slices and spread with butter
  • Combine grated cheese, mayonnaise and chopped pickle 
  • Cut Spam Luncheon Meat ¼ inch thick slices
  • Place a slice on each piece of toast
  • Spread with cheese mixture. 
  • Broil until cheese puffs. 
  • Serve hot. 
  • Makes 8 open sandwiches
Better Homes and Gardens Magazine 
July 1940


No comments:

Post a Comment