Saturday, August 29, 2026

Eggs and Pork Sausage

The heat is really getting to me.. but Im trying not to complain. But 108° is too much for anyone.  Today I felt so tired and worn out we decided to have a day at home. 
But we did spend an hour in the garden just tidying up a bit... getting rid of the cucumber plants that had sucomed to the scorching heat and deadheading the roses. 
The peppers however are loving the weather and we have lots of jalapenos, serrano's and pimientos growing....
For breakfast this morning I made a dish called Eggs and Pork Sausage from "300 Ways to Serve Eggs",
published by the Culinary Arts Institute, 1940
Its pretty self explanatory and almost a complete meal in itself... sausage.. eggs... cheese... milk and bread. It was very easy to throw together.. and a great opportunity to use some of the dried bread cubes from the pantry. I halved the recipe as it was only for the two of us.. not the six as suggested.. and I must say it was very flavourful and filling

I will be making it again

1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
3 cups dry cubed bread
6 eggs, beaten
6 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup grated cheese
Original Recipe from the Book
  • Sauté the pork sausage in a skillet until well browned.
  • Pour off most of the fat from the pan.
  • Add the bread cubes and brown them with the sausage.
  • Combine the beaten eggs, milk, and grated cheese in a bowl
  • Add this mixture to the sausage and bread.
  • Cook like scrambled eggs until set.
  • Serve immediately with grilled tomatoes.
"300 Ways to Serve Eggs",
the Culinary Arts Institute 1940

No comments:

Post a Comment