Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Potato and Green Pea Cakes

Well the Victory Garden is looking very scraggy.. but is still giving us plenty of produce. This year I will have lots and lots of tomatoes to preserve!
The rest of the garden is still looking very pretty..despite the 100 degree weather. This heat cant go on for ever.. can it??
Inside the house.. the dreaded weekly ironing chore was accomplished with the help of cups of tea... and Kay Kyser and his Orchestra
Jingle Jangle Jingle ~ 1942
Kay Kyser and his Orchestra
Vocals by Harry Babbitt  and Julie Conway 
For dinner..  I found this recipe from The Ministry of Food.. and as a lover of green peas... and potatoes.. I thought how yummy... and it looks very simple to make.. what could possibly go wrong?
Well... I always share my recipes.. whether they turn out great... or not.  And this recipe was a great big NOT!!

Dont get me wrong.. flavour wise they were very tasty. But.. having made the mixture.. trying to fry them was a  massive failure. They just fell into a great mushy mess. I tried twice with various amounts of oil (in my case bacon fat) but they would not get crispy ... or stay firm. So I saved the rest of the mixture.. and we will have it as a mashed potato dish with some sausages later in the week. They really needed some sort of binding agent..like flour or and egg.. which if I make them again.. I will use. 

Although I must say.. Green Pea Mashed Potatoes is quite delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment