Thursday, August 27, 2026

Strawberry Marmalade

Day two of this years preserves making.. and this is a new one for me.. Strawberry Marmalade from The Better Homes and Gardens Magazine. Juy 1941
I had a huge harvest of strawberries this year.. so I used half and kept half to make Strawberry Jam next week.
I was so pleased the way it turned out. It had a lovely flavour... and a beautiful colour. I didnt water bath it as the recipe didn't call for it. But Im sure it will be shelf stable for quite a while. Absolute winner!

2 oranges
2 lemons
½ cup water
1⁄8 teaspoon soda
1 quart strawberries
7 cups sugar
½ bottle fruit pectin
Original Magazine Clipping
  • Remove rind from oranges and lemons
  • Cut off white membrane; force rinds thru food chopper. 
  • Add water and soda; bring to boiling. 
  • Cover and simmer 10 minutes. 
  • Add orange and lemon pulp, and juice
  • Simmer 20 minutes. 
  • Add crushed strawberries. 
  • Measure 4 cups prepared fruits; add sugar. 
  • Bring to boiling; boil 5 minutes. 
  • Remove from heat; stir in fruit pectin. 
  • Let stand 5 minutes
  • Skim and seal in hot, sterilized glasses. 
Better Homes and Gardens Magazine
July 1941

No comments:

Post a Comment