Thursday, September 19, 2024

Meat Pie with Biscuit Topping

I have a large collection of 1940s cookery books and recipe clippings... the majority being the authentic publications from that era. I'm always excited when I find a new addition to my bookshelf.. especially if its good condition and in my budget. 
This week I found the a copy of "57 Ways to Use Heinz Condensed Soup" from 1944.. and of course I gad to try a recipe straight away. This Meat Pie with Biscuit Topping was a good choice
I made a couple of changes. I used ground beef because thats what I had in the freezer. I made smaller biscuits as they fit my dish better.. so I made 12.  And I topped it with some Italian herbs 

A lovely flavour and a homely dinner... which hubby thoroughly enjoyed..so I will be making it again
1/2 lb. raw beef, diced, or 1 cup diced, left- over meat
2 tablespoons fat
1 11-oz. can Heinz Condensed Vegetable Soup with Beef Stock
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash cayenne pepper 
Dough for 1/2 standard recipe for baking powder biscuits
  • Brown meat in fat. If raw meat is used cook thoroughly. 
  • Combine meat, Soup. water and seasonings 
  • Pour into a well- greased casserole (5" x 81/2" x 3"). 
  • Pat biscuit dough to 1/4" thickness and cut with a 2" biscuit cutter. 
  • Arrange 8 biscuits on top of meat mixture. 
  • Bake in a hot oven (400° F.) for 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. 
  • Serves 2 to 3.
57 Ways to Use Heinz Condensed Soup
1944
 

No comments:

Post a Comment