Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Potato and Bacon Cakes

This week I'm starting a new group of recipes, under the heading.. Wartime Wednesday. All of the recipes will come from the rationing leaflets of World War Two. They are a great source for making economical and tasty meals and to begin with is one of our favourites... Potato and Bacon Cakes

When I boil a pan of potatoes for mash, I always cook more than I need as I love to use the leftovers for another dish.. eg topping for a pie, mixing with turnips for a traditional 'Ponchmipe'..or to make a few potato cakes to freeze for later. Plus having extra potatoes, which can easily be reheated, saves on time, fuel and money.
These Potato and Bacon Cakes come from the wartime Ministry of Food leaflet No #.. Potatoes. All the MF leaflets are in the great little book Eating for Victory. Three rashers of bacon went into leftover mashed potatoes, with onions and some of the marmite that I got from the Uk (I knew I would find a use for it).
The recipe said to oven bake them, but I pan fried them in some of the bacon grease I save. Because of this I didnt add any salt as bacon, bacon fat and marmite add enough. My dear hubby wanted a bit of cheese in his... so thats what he got.
They were very good, crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.. and very much like the Bubble and Squeak Cakes I made a few weeks ago. A delicious breakfast.

1lb Cooked Potatoes.
6 Tablespoons chopped onions
1 1/2 - 3 oz Bacon.
2 teaspoon of Meat or Vegetable Extract 
1/2 - 1 teaspoon of salt.
Pinch of Pepper  
Milk and Bread Crumbs for coating.

  • Mash the potatoes well while still hot.
  • Chop the bacon
  • Fry with the onion until both are golden brown.
  • Add to the mashed potato with the extract salt and pepper.
  • Mix well together and form into 8 cakes.
  • Coat with milk and breadcrumbs and bake in a moderately hot oven till firm.
Eating For Victory



No comments:

Post a Comment