Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Chicken Cacciatore

A delicious chicken dish from the 1949 edition of The Good Housekeeping Cookbook. 

I did make a couple of changes though. I used chicken thighs instead of whole chickens. I used low sodium chicken stock instead of wine. And I diced the onion and peppers instead of mincing them..to give a bit of a bite. Also, I thought 3 1/4 tsp salt was a tad much so I seasoned to taste

2½-3 lb. drawn fryers, cut-up
6 Tbsp. fat or salad oil
1 cup minced onion
3/4 cup minced green pepper
4 minced, peeled cloves garlic
1 No. 2½ can tomatoes (3½ cups)
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
½ cup Chianti wine
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. ground allspice
2 bay leaves
½  tsp. leaf thyme
Dash cayenne pepper
3 1/4 tsp. salt

  • Clean, wash, and dry fryers. (chicken)
  • Heat fat in large skillet or Dutch oven
  • Fry chicken in it until golden brown on all sides. 
  • Add onion, green pepper, and garlic; brown lightly. 
  • Add remaining ingredients; simmer, uncovered, 30-40 min., or until chicken is tender.
  • Serve with sauce over it. 
The Good Housekeeping Cookbook
1949

No comments:

Post a Comment