Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Jambalya

At the weekend we had a large chicken for Sunday dinner. There was plenty of meat left on the bird so I stripped it down and used the carcus and vegetable peelings to make a lovely chicken stock. This and the meat were used in last nights dinner, which was another family hit. This Jambalaya recipe comes from the January 1940 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens Magazine
I made a couple of ammendments to the recipe to suit our tastes. The vegetables were softened in a spray of oil rather than 1/4 cup, I only had half a pepper in the fridge, I only used 1/3 a cup of ham as I needed the rest for sandwiches,..and I didnt add any extra salt and pepper as my homemade stock had enough. Plus, I also omitted the canned oyster..Im not a fan!!

This dish was flavourful, with a slight kick from the tabasco sauce and was quick and easy to throw together.  And seeing as hubby had double hepings, Im sure I will be making it again
1 large onion, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced parsley 
1 cup chopped ham
1/4 cup fat 
Salt and pepper 
Dash of thyme
Few drops Tabasco sauce
2 tablespoons flour
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
2 cups diced, cooked chicken
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup rice
1 cup canned or fresh shrimp
10 oysters, if desired
Original Magazine Clipping
           
  • y

Better Homes and Gardens Magazine
January 1940

No comments:

Post a Comment