A dreadfully muggy day. Brief showers and 90° temperatures made for an uncomfortably humid and sticky day
Still... Autumn is just around the corner... so with all the food preserving done it was time to start the pre Fall clean. As well as the normal Tuesday chores.. I took down all the light curtains in the living and dining room.. cleaned the windows and washed the the walls with a wrung out mop. Then when everything was done I put up the warmer thicker curtains and all was clean and cosy again ready for the cooler weather.. which I hope is not too far away..
For dinner tonight we had some delicious stuffed peppers using some of the bell peppers from the garden. Then we took our dessert to the living room and listened to the next episode of "Hop Harrington" on the radioHop Harrington
Featuring Chester Stratton and Ken Lynch
Broadcast September 8th 1942
This fried apples recipe from Meta Givens is a great, quick recipe. Its very versatile too. We have it plain with ice cream, as a topping for pancakes and a side for chicken or pork
MrD once commented that its like eating apple pie without the crust, With the sprinkle of cinnamon I think it tastes like Autumn
I did take a couple of changes though. The original recipe says to leave the peel on... I didn't. And I also added a sprinkle of cinnamon.. just because we like it
2 lbs tart apples
3 Tbspbutter or bacon, ham or pork drippings
1/3 cup water
Sugar.. this was unspecified so I used 2 Tbsp of brown sugar
3 Tbspbutter or bacon, ham or pork drippings
1/3 cup water
Sugar.. this was unspecified so I used 2 Tbsp of brown sugar
![]() |
| Original Recipe |
- Core and slice apples into rings or wedges.
- Melt the fat in a heavy pan and add the apples.
- Pour the water on top and cover tightly.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until softened.
- Sprinkle the sugar on top
- Cook over low heat until delicately browned.
The Modern Family Cookbook
Meta Given - 1942

.jpg)






No comments:
Post a Comment