Thursday, September 3, 2026

Tomato Powder

 My goodness what a busy day its been
I put my own preserving on hold as I popped over to the canning centre which has been set up in our church hall kitchen to help other ladies with their own preserving. I took along my pressure canner for those ladies who don't have one.. and my water bath canner to make some of the processing go faster. It was lovely to see some of the younger ladies gleaning wisdom from the more mature ones. 

Time went so fast that I had  to scurry home for a quick lunch and get my own house in order before MrD got home. No preserving in my own kitchen today.. but last night I did manage to finish the tomato powder from the skins saved from canning crushed tomatoes yesterday.
  • Collect leftover skins after peeling or canning tomatoes. 
  • Pat them dry to remove excess moisture. 
  • Arrange the peels in a single layer on parchment paper. 
  • Set oven to its lowest setting (150°F to 200°F)
  • Bake for 2 to 3 hours until completely dry and brittle. 
  • You can also use a dehydrator at 135°F for about 6 hours
  • Grind the dried skins until it forms a fine powder. 
  • Sift the final mix if needed for a smoother texture
  • Keep the powder in an airtight jar in a cool, dark pantry or refrigerator to maintain freshness
Uses:
  • Sprinkle over salads, buttered pasta, or popcorn for a concentrated burst of tomato flavor.
  • Mix into soups, stews, chowders, or dips to add both flavor and body.
  • Blend with hot water to recreate quick tomato paste, sauce, or soup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment