All the peeling, chopping, slicing, baking has produced some delicious dishes this week. But what to do with all those peelings and cores. I guess the chickens would love them, and I guess I could share a bit. But, in the spirit of "Waste Not Want Not, I made some sweet Apple Jelly
My Grandmother used this recipe, and the smell in my kitchen is amazing and brings back so many memories. Now I must admit this jelly, like most preserves, uses a lot of sugar, but you dont use much of it at once and it lasts a long time. It tastes just like toffee apples, and its wonderful as a glaze or served warm with a pudding or ice cream
The recipe is simple and it has three ingredients;
Apple Peelings and Cores
Lemon Juice
Sugar
- In a large bowl, cover the peels and cores with water
- It can be left overnight in the fridge or used straight away
- Pour into a pan
- Boil for an hour.
- When slightly cooled, strain through a muslin cloth
- Measure the liquid in a large pan
- For every cup of that golden liquid add 2 Tbsp lemon juice and 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Boil til temperatures reach setting point (220℉)
- Pour into warm sterilized jars.
- If canning..process for 10 minutes

.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment