Thursday, August 29, 2024

Soft Molasses Cookies

Its the last few days of August, and Im so ready for September and the coming of Autumn. In the last couple of days temperatures have reached 105 degrees, again, and for a pale Welsh girl, its exhausting. My grandmother used to say, "ladies dont sweat..they glow!!" Well Nana, Im glowing like a pig. 

With the Autumn, comes all the rich spicy smells and flavours of cinnamon, and nutmeg, and ginger, etc. Well I cant wait that long so I made some quick and easy Molasses Cookies, taken from the American Womans Cookbook, 1942. They were lovely

Just a quick comment on the original recipe. I chilled the dough in the fridge for a bit longer than ten minutes. It was easier to handle. And for my oven 15 minutes baking was too long.  The first tray I baked caught slightly and the cookie was hard. So I reduced the time to 10 minutes and they came out perfect. I left them to cool on the tray before moving them so they firmed up 

3 cups sifted flour 
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ginger
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup shortening, melted
1 cup molasses
2 tablespoons warm water
1 egg, beaten

  • Sift dry ingredients together. 
  • Combine remaining ingredients. 
  • Add sifted ingredients
  • Mix thoroughly and let stand about 10 minutes. 
  • Roll out on floured board, cut and bake in hot oven (400 F.) about 10-15 minutes. 

The American Womans Cookbook,
by Ruth Berolzheiimer, 1942


No comments:

Post a Comment